Mar 16, 2010

Extrospection, Introspection

Tonight I watched BYU's production of Blood Wedding, later I watched Chuck: Chuck Versus the Tic-Tac both put me in an introspective mood.
About love.
Yeah, it seems like that is all we hear, love this, love that, hate such and such, hate blah-de blah. But... isn't that the whole reason we are here?
Love.
Such a powerful emotion that changes lives in all sorts of ways. In Blood Wedding love destroyed lives, yet it can't be love because love only builds, it doesn't destroy. The Love between the girl and the man she loves was once pure but no longer holds the pure quality it had. When he married another his love became twisted into lust, had he really loved her he would have let her find happiness in the marriage she was about to enter. Loving someone is wanting the best for them no matter what it does to you. It's letting yourself be torn apart by the emotions you hold and never letting the other see the destruction.
Or is it? Shouldn't we fight for the ones we love? When does love change?
When is it wrong?
To hold so tightly to another and desire to always be with them? When we give up the ones we love, is it simply for the social acceptance?
Yes and no.
We should fight for the ones we love, but we should not stand in the way of their happiness. When they choose another we should love them enough to step back and let go. If our love cannot do that, then
it isn't love.
In Chuck Casey (my favorite character) tells Chuck that he chose long ago love of country over love and that "you need to figure out which is best for you." Even though I highly doubt I will ever be spy and have to choose between those two options there will be times in my life where I will have to choose between love of ___ (fill in the blank) and love. There will be times with I will choose the love of, and there will be times when
I choose love.
Another part of Chuck revealed a little bit of love. Ellie and Devin (Chuck's sister and bro-in-law) both have conflicting desires. Ellie just got accepted into her dream school and Devin wants to join Doctors Without Borders. Each argues their individual points. In the end Ellie tells Chuck she is willing to go with Devin.
"Dreams change."
Devin takes Ellie into their house and tells her that he is willing to stay for her because he knows it what she's always wanted.
That is love.
Sacrificing what you want to make the other person happy. Not just in a romantic sense either. Lest you think I'm centered on that. It's for everyone. The whole reason we came to this earth is to learn to love others. Christ is the ultimate example of love. He gave all he had, comfort, life, freedom, innocence, for you, and for me. He did not put himself above the rest of us, he gave freely and purely, his love was not twisted in anyway. His whole life was devoted to giving all he had to others and making their lives better. That is what love means.
Love is scary.
I know. You invest your whole soul in another person, boyfriend, husband, friend, child, mother, father, sister, brother, nephew, niece, uncle, aunt, grandparent and sometimes you don't get the return you wanted. Sometimes it is hard. Sometimes it takes years before you can see a change or feel loved in return. Sometimes those who love you most and whom you love most in return are the ones who cut you deepest.
Love isn't always easy.
But it is so rewarding. It's what life is all about.

(Songs: MoTab: I Feel My Savior's Love; Michael Buble: LOVE)

3 comments:

  1. Tegan's post...meet my life. Life...meet Tegan's post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! It is beautiful and the questions you raised are so thought-provoking. Well done, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second (or third) the standing motion. :)

    ReplyDelete